Agenda, Agenda UMC
Scope and Contents
Folder 1 (of 1). Church programs for 125th anniversary (2016), 100th anniversary (1991), 75th anniversary (1966) Town of Agenda newsletter for August Centennial (1987) Certificates of Full Membership, 1999-2002 Certificate of Baptisms, 2000 Notice of Transfers of Membership, 1984-2001 Newspaper clippings (undated; 2000-2002) Photograph (black and white) of 1933 church, undated Church histories and lists of pastors Local Church Historian surveys (1985 and 1988) Conference reports, 1960-2006
- Created: 1960-2012
- Other: Majority of material found in 1960-2012
- Agenda United Methodist Church (Agenda, Kan.) (Organization)
Biographical or Historical Information
Agenda, founded in 1891, is still an active church as of this writing (2018). It is located on Fourth Street in Agenda, Kansas, in the Salina UMC district of the Great Plains conference.
The first Methodist Episcopal Church at Agenda was chartered August 29, 1891. The church was built in 1892-1893 at a cost of about $1800 and was dedicated July 1893. The first pastor was Rev. D. A. Allen. Before the construction of the church, meetings had been held in the schoolhouse at Pentico, one-half mile west of Agenda.
The church was elevated in 1908-1909 so that a basement could be dug underneath it.
At some point before 1917, the Methodist Episcopal and Methodist Protestant churches of Agenda united to form the Federated Community Church with services in the M.E. church building.
In June 1925, on the day that new minister Rev. Manning of Oregon arrived, the church was struck by lightning and completely destroyed. Only the piano and the furnace were saved. It is thought that in about 1927 the Federated Community Church became a Methodist Episcopal Church. After seven years of financial difficulties (and the holding of services in the high school auditorium), the new church was built on the previous church’s basement walls; it was dedicated on March 12, 1933.
In 1939 came the merger of the Methodist Episcopal North, Methodist Episcopal South, and Methodist Protestant to become the Methodist Church; in 1968 the Evangelical United Brethren joined the Methodist Dhurch to become the United Methodist Church.
The parsonage, southeast of the church, was rented to ministers from 1924 to 1940, after which the minister no longer lived in Agenda.
Note written by Sarah St. John
Language of Materials
This collection includes documents from the Agenda United Methodist Church, Agenda, Kansas.
Programs for historical events are in the front of the file. Certificates of membership, baptisms, and transfers follow, along with clippings and one photograph. Church histories are next, followed by conference reports in reverse chronological order.
- Jen McCollough, Sarah St. John
- Language of description
- Script of description